Monday, March 10, 2008

Slight Observations

Ok, so maybe I lied and was closer to being finished with this quilt than I said I was. However I'm so glad so that it too can be shipped off to Boston. I really hope little Ben likes it. I promised it wouldn't have cacti on it.

This is one of my favorite patterns as of lately. The second with these same materials and the third of sail boats. Its fairly easy and so gosh darn cute. It reminds me of Boston too. Boy quilts are hard in my mind. I'd so rather put butterflies and flowers together.

Its somewhat therapeutic to see my quilts finished and photographed so that I can inspect them in a way that others do. When I hold them in my hands and look them over I usually go straight for the mistakes and laugh a little. But other people don't look for the mistakes (I hope) and seem really happy to have a 'Rachel Quilt' in their collection. To them I say "You're welcome as long as you use it."

On a different note as far as observation goes, I was laying in bed thinking about my substitute music leading in Relief Society yesterday. Two funny things happened and I know that people caught on. First I didn't look too closely at the music and thought for sure that I was off somehow and would just find my place and start over on the down beat. I did, about four times at least - little did I know that the measure continued on to the next line. How stupid. Then a little less obvious, I led the closing song backwards. It was in 3/4 time and instead of going down, right, up I lead it down left up. Still a triangle. One woman was just staring at me and I think it was because she was trying to figure out what was so strange. By the second song though I had the whole measure issue figured out. I think I just secured my position on the activities committee, won't be called to lead the music in RS anytime soon. Mom, don't be disappointed in my failed attempt at leading music. Beck, I can hear you laughing your head off.

7 comments:

lacy said...

Elly loves her "Rachel Blankie" she calls it. She likes to watch TV with it mostly. Why not? Rach likes to watch TV too, that way you guys can bond. I'm so lucky to have a super talented friend, so I don't have to be!

birdie said...

I'm jealous of your quilting skills. I'm just not patient enough - all the small pieces drive me bananas.

I think it's because I lose everything, and I end up spending more time looking for missing quilt pieces than I do quilting.

Gold-E said...

Nice job sissy. You have real talent. Spankie Blankies may need some Rach quilts to sell. Get crackin.

Adrianne said...

We love our "Racel Blanket"- but honestly I won't let my kids use it much- because its too nice.

I am the primary chorister and honeslty I can see teachers nodding at me the whole time on the down beat. Trying to help me get it right. And I am at a total loss for 6/8 time so I just write my name in the air. the pianist gets confused but the kids just keep singing. he he

Nay said...

You're too funny. I'll only be disappointed if you don't keep trying. When you lead the music, think of your cute sail boat quilt and it'll be just fine!

lulu said...

I lead the music in sacrament. At some moments, I saw the more advanced ladies leading in the congregation, trying to help me get back on track. I knew for certain that I was doomed.

talonandanna said...

girlz got skillz! :) love this quilt!