Saturday, April 26, 2008

Binki Donation

Noelle bid a not-so-fond farewell to one of her very dearest friends, her binky. I was watching Super Nanny and one of the "naughty" kids was four years old and still had a binky. Nanny Jo said that after the age of two children really don't need binky's and that it could start to cause more damage to their teeth the longer they have it. Ok, ok its not nearly as hard as potty training (which we've put on the back burner) but I just decided on Thursday at nap time that we were going to implement no more binky's. I explained to her that we were going to send the to Grammy. (Sorry Grammy, it was a split second decision.) We've since modified the story to let her know that Grammy is going to give them to the new baby that is going to be a new cousin. She doesn't get the whole cousin part, but the baby part I think she's ok with. We're on day three and so far only small fits of rage that I don't have a Binky to offer. I was almost as sad as she was and wanted to sob outside of her bedroom door that first day because I was just as scared about trying this as she was sad that she was missing her friend. So here's a small tribute to the many binky's we've loved over the past 24 or so months.




10 comments:

Gold-E said...

Ohhh. Makes me a little misty eyed when you call it her "friend" and the fact that every time I talk to you I can hear her in the background crying out, "My binki. My binki."

Wanamakers said...

I saw that Super Nanny too - sometimes moving on to the next stage is more sad for Mom than it is for the kid! :( Good luck with potty training!

lulu said...

I guess I have something to look forward to! Love the blog. Just read the last few posts.
I love your family.

Nay said...

I felt the same way with you and Ben, although Ben was a little more connected than you were to the binky. Good luck...

EmilyCC said...

You're so brave! I haven't bought Asher a new "nanny" in over a year, hoping that he'll quit because they're so nasty. But, they remain nasty, and it doesn't stop him. Maybe I need to watch that episode of Super Nanny...

Bar M U said...

I had to laugh - we went through the same thing with my little girl's "doot-doot" as she called it. I tried cutting it off in pieces so it lost suction and eventually her interest. Holy cow, she went crazy on me and was so angry about it day 1. Eventually she was alright with it disappearing one day. Now I'm working on thumb sucking with my boy....ugh! hopeless.

birdie said...

Emmie loves her binky and I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to take it away!

Shawn said...

I wish my kids were into the Binki! They are all about their thumbs and I can't mail those to Grandma!

Lisa said...

I saw that episode and thought the same thing... it's time to get rid of it! Although you must be much stronger because I have yet to make the step in actually taking it away!

talonandanna said...

dang mommy, no binkie. amazing! we're still working on it, and p-training too. blah. and yo, i'd find someone to take t to see thomas, but we've already told him mommy and daddy are taking him. he's thrilled. bought another set of tix for a different day and still need to get rid of the other ones. :/ how's the hunting going? i'm in WA right now visiting my fam, dad fell and shattered his elbow (compound fracture actually), had surgery and isn't doing too hot. so i came home to try to alleviate some stress and responsibility for my mother. so, if you don't hear much from me in the next two weeks, that'd be why. but i miss ya and want to hear how things are going there. i'll try to check email while i'm up here. lub ya.