Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reminiscing About The Good Ol' Days

My dearest Lacy "tagged" me and why not tell you a little more about myself, if I have to...(Disclaimer: I really loved high school and have some of the fondest memories of people who I haven't spoken to in a long, long time. I am also grateful for the friendships I've kept all these years. Forgive my reminiscing. I put way too much time into this post.)

1. If you could go back and tell your teenage self one thing, what would it be? Be true to yourself, which I think for high school, I did a pretty good job. I was wacky, way wackier than now if you can believe it. Loud, silly and fun. I also wore some strange clothes, that were way too big (thanks to the grunge era).

2. Did you do any extra curricular activities in high school?
Yes, I'll try to list them chronologically.

Freshman Year:
Freshman Class Senator - this made me feel so needed as a freshman, we got to do all the clean up after dances, and I met some new friends.
German Club - Only because I was in the class
Early Morning Seminary - Definitely extra curricular considering I choose this.

Sophomore Year:
Sophomore Class Secretary
Cross Country Team - I was pretty terrible, but they still let me come.
German Club - I don't even know why at this point

Junior Year:
Pep Club
Cross Country Team - Don't worry I gave up after my stumpy legs wouldn't go fast enough
Future Homemakers of America - Only because I could sew
Junior Choir - I haven't decided if this is extra, it was just a class.

Senior Year:
A'Capella Choir

Madrigal Choir
President of Future Homemakers of America
Baseball Fan Club - You know it!

3. What did you do with your free time?
Well since I was one of the few girls that didn't have much going on after school I usually just hung out with whoever wanted to hang out. During my senior year, on Wednesdays I went over to Mike G's house while his mom played cards at some one's house and we made out. Seems so stupid now. Cheered on my friends at a number of sporting events, girls and boys. Or go with Lacy to Don's so we could visit other friends who worked there. I roller bladed a lot and sometimes I'd just jog home after a sleep over since that was what I was into for part of high school. But really I worked, had odd jobs, babysitting and my senior year I worked at the Candy Barrel and Sunglass Hut.

4. Coolest thing you did as a teenager.
I really liked going with the Outdoor Survival Class on a backpacking trip to Southern Utah. Being in the musical my senior year was a lot of fun and I got to make some of the costumes. I dropped college algebra so I could go on a trip to Europe with my grandparents. (It was the only class that I couldn't miss for more than a day.) Also, since I was still technically a teenager, working at Camp K was probably one of the best learning and growing experiences of my life. Worst paying job of my life too.

5. Did you have a boyfriend in high school?
Yes, some of the time. And the rest of the time I was just shelling out "girl advice" to my guy friends, which I had a lot of.

6. Songs that come to mind:
Groove Me & Shoop by Salt-n-Pepa as sung by my freshman gym class
You Wear Flowers by Peter Breinholt
Did You Ever Look So Nice by The Samples
Beastie Boys, I can't remember the album, but solely thanks to Adrianne
My Baby's Got Sauce by G Love & Special Sauce - has a whole new meaning as a mother, might add it to my next home video of Noelle (Make sure you click to reminisce)
All Mixed Up by 311 -(Click to reminisce)

7. If you could change one thing, what would it be?
Keep my mouth shut at the inopportune times. This usually got me into trouble and in more than one instance offended people and was probably a huge turn off for friendships. I think I've done a much better job at this in my adult life, but can always improve. My sincerest apologies to anyone who reads my blog and was offended. You and I both know who you are.

8. What did you think you would be when you grew up?
I had no idea, but majoring in communication pretty much sums up what teachers always told my mom. "Rachel is a delight to have in my class, however she talks a lot." I don't remember talking all that much, but whatever. I did know that it wouldn't be in the sciences.

9. Picture of self.














10. Craziest thing you did in high school.
Toilet papering nearly the entire senior class of boys was a huge undertaking and we slept out on the football field and waited for them to show up at early morning football to discover 50 or so girls waiting. The best was that Amy snuck out of her house to come with us. We also did some crazy stuff when asking or answering to dances, which is totally Utah.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

You're a goofball! It's funny reading about the old times, especially hearing it from someone else's point of view!
I always just thought you were very popular!

suzi said...

I'm glad I found you! Fun to read back into memory lane. I still remember pep club tryouts and games with you... you were always so fun to be with!

Camille Bassett said...

I knew you were popular in high school. Its why I felt you were so unapproachable your first day at church. It felt like i had to be part of an exclusive club to be your friend. Seriously though the picture is great. I love the belt and the bangs. tooo cute!

Adrianne said...

Love it!! Thanks for the song list-oh what good memories! I remember running almost every afternoon down and around the park- it was probably after we had both given up on cross country though! I love reading your blog because it makes me think we don't live so far away! Love you! A

Gold-E said...

Even though I thought you were the biggest jackass in highschool, I think you're pretty cool now. Love ya sissy.

Rachel said...

For those of you who don't know, my favorite part of high school was NOT riding to and from school with my sister for all of one year. It sucked and she "refused to be my chauffer." We faught a lot. But then she went to collage and we could be friends.

Amy said...

Rach, I love that you remembered the one time I snuck out. My parents didn't find out about that until a couple of years ago, after I was married. They about died. We were laughing pretty hard. You are a great friend and were in high school. Thanks for the memories.

Rob & Megg said...

Rach- so many great memories! Sewing class, choirs and hanging out...remember that dance we had the same what do you call that pants that looked like a dress outfit. Love the song list! Some things in HS were so much easier.

Bar M U said...

At least you didn't dress like a lumberjack! My husband teases me too often about my senior picture. I'll never forget when the boys jumped out of the bushes and kidnapped some of the girls while TPing (that's the g rated version anyway) :)

The Gambler said...

So, mention of Matt Lowe huh?....Pretty messed up Roos.

Pasty Gangsta said...

Geez, no kidding Roos. You and Lowe made out ALL THE TIME that one summer and you don't even mention it on your blog? Granted he was a terrible boyfriend who forgot Valentine's Day, but he did give you the nickname "RoosBurger." I think that's worth something.

Rachel said...

Holy cow I haven't see the two most recent comments until just now and have to add my apologies to any and all who I disregarded in topic #5. Ok so I had a few "boyfriends." Some of which actually read this blog. In all honesty Lowe was a fine boyfriend for a girl who had never really kissed anyone. I really didn't have a lot of boyfriends though. It was great times and I don't regret two seconds of it.