Monday, April 14, 2008

For the Unconventional

This past weekend we celebrated the life of my step-brother Paul at his funeral in Las Vegas. Its always a good time when the family gets together and we usually end up laughing at silly things that are generally irreverent and doing things the unconventional way.
But that's ok, because we're unconventional people you see.

I come from good ol' divorce stock. Kind of like the feral child kind, but not the same. I am the youngest of four kids and then there are all the rest. "All the rest?..." you ask, yes that would be the rest of my family.

When people ask how many kids are in my family I usually give one of two answers, but I first ask "In my mom's family or my dad's family?" Then people cock there heads to one side as they process and then I just say there are seven kids in my family. Because no matter how you slice and dice it, that's how many there are with either parent. I could say ten, but then they ask what kind of van we drove and how we all fit into that little house and on and on. So seven, we'll just stick with that.

Divorce does unkind things to the family unit and I'd say for the most part our family, once again unconventional in our ways, has found a system that has seemed to work. If I break it down simply, its the fact that both of my parents have found people who love their kids as their own. Not all of our mixed family might claim us, but then again the feelings are probably mutual. There is also an understanding that we have an other family that is equally important in our lives. But sharing memories and delighting in life's successes and failures is what has made our family tight.
We've grown up together, sharing spaces, slamming doors, exchanging gifts and cars, cherishing nieces and nephews all the same as the conventional families in America. But really we're all lucky because we have four parents instead of two.

15 comments:

Rob & Megg said...

Great post Rach! Your family is really exceptional on how they have melted and merged!

Daniel said...

As terrible of a reason it was for us to see each other, It was a great weekend and Im so glad we all got to spend it together. I needed that.

Adrianne said...

ok- this is a unconventional comment on an uncoventional post: you are looking hot! Keep up all of the great work!- or whatever you may or may not be doing! And fun to see pictures of all the fam!

TomKat said...

Good post sissy. Unconventional, yet who wanted to be ordinary anyway?

Gold-E said...

What is up with the "feral" comments? Sheesh sissy, you'd think we smelled like pooh all the time. Nevertheless, may this weekend's purpose always remind us of what you've so graciously pointed out - FAMILY is so important...even the feral ones.

Rachel said...

It was just a little bit of a throw back to me stating that I was a feral child, you know for Mom's sake, since she loved it so much the first time. Wink wink. I've already admitted that we weren't feral in the poopy way, just wild and of nature. Look it up on dictionary.com.

Heather said...

From one feral unconventional gal to another, I heart you.

talonandanna said...

fun post rach! love the fashionable glasses... you bought those right?! :)

Bar M U said...

Hey! I sure love reading your comments on my blog, so thanks for the visits and keep them coming. I think I'll name one of my chickens ROOSter after you. Anyway, if you plan on having any more kids, I have a stroller to add to your "wish list" - its made by Joovy and its called the caboose. The second kid can ride on the back standing or sitting. I just got one and LOVE it. Google it if you're interested

Nay said...

Rach, I believe you expressed the sentiments of the whole family very well. We are a wild and crazy bunch, and we all know when the going gets tuff we all stick together because there is a lot of love there. You kids are lucky to have 4 parents who love you very much. Hope you will cherish those special times we have together.

Nay said...

Rach, I believe you expressed the sentiments of the whole family very well. We are a wild and crazy bunch, and we all know when the going gets tuff we all stick together because there is a lot of love there. You kids are lucky to have 4 parents who love you very much. Hope you will cherish those special times we have together.

Elizabeth R said...

I have to say I appreciate your family just the way it is. My family is so messed up, I think the one I married into is pretty damn nice. So thanks for that. :) And you girls looked hot in those glasses!

TomKat said...

We are pretty damn nice, aren't we? :)

TomKat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

I loved hearing how everything has worked out so well for you guys! Being a recently divorced part of a family I've been worried about what Alexis is going to think about it when she gets older! I'm glad to know that you just feel all the more lucky to have more people to love and care for you. I hope she feels the same way!