Wednesday, June 18, 2008

All American

Recently I had a phone conversation with one of my favorite people and the discussion turned to being patriotic and showing American pride through different commercialized products. She mentioned that she feels very "American" when she eats at McDonald's. And that its much like going to Costco or church. When you go there you can find things that make you feel at home or at ease because its pretty much the same no matter where you are in the world. I concur.


What made me laugh about this a little was the fact that as we were watching the Celtics kick the Lakers butts last night, a McDonald's commercial came on and my husband got all sorts of excited that they were returning to their roots and playing the jingle, "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun," or something like that. (Click the link to hear it!) It conjured up a feeling of good times, childhood and being in a familiar place with comfort food. So here's to being American and having your choice of apple or cherry pies, at McDonald's of course.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a 'hamburgler' glass cup at that favorite persons place the other day and thought of my childhood of when McDonalds gave out those glasses. I think my family got them all, and my parents still even have a couple.
I concur about the feelings of 'home' with such establishments. Does it make me feel patriotic, not really, but that is likely due to the fact that I'm an alien!
The big question for everyone is...how many countries have you eaten McDonalds in?? I think I've had it in five.

Gold-E said...

I think the only time McDonalds is remotely patrioric is when I am in another country. Intially seeing a McDonalds in another country is a real bummer - since I go to other countries to experience new cultures and food. The patriotism kicks in when I've eaten 'kebapches' for a week straight, then see a McDonalds. Thats when I start singing "God Bless America."

Rachel said...

Three countries off the top of my head. But hey, when you have Montezuma's revenge, nothing sounds better than something predictable.

Also, a select few family members used to get the holiday cups and save them because the might "be worth something someday." We're still waiting for someday to come.

Anonymous said...

love it! I think Heather probably bought her's for a dollar, so keep on waiting!!!

Daniel said...

"All beef patties" I believe it was...and those were basketball cups! :)

Rachel said...

I think you're fogetting the special holiday edition. Hello, Richard.

birdie said...

What's more American than heart disease and an extra 20 lbs? Ahh, it warms my heart just to think of it!

Oh, how I love thee McDonalds.