Monday, June 11, 2007

Enjoying our Backyard

So for the first time pretty much since we've been married, which is now eight years, we have finally found a place to live with a backyard we can actually enjoy. This is largely in part to the fact that we don't have wacky neighbors that watch our every move. We also have the luxury of using the swing set that is there for the relative neighbor who is the only other kid on the block. Anyhow, as you can see we use the swing set and have been given some space in the garden. Apparently I can't find a rake that isn't fit for a five year old. But I am an amateur. This is my first real garden. I've been dreaming about it for a while now. (Thanks to my good friend Jenny C. who has always had lovely gardens and I've probed over time for tips.) I love it! Ryan's mom was in town recently and she was kind enough to help weed the space and turn the soil, as well as helped me get many of the large rocks, pieces of cement and fragments of asphalt out of the way so we could get the tomato cages deep enough. In short it was really hard work and I'm so grateful for her help. In all we planted six tomato plants, two bell peppers, a ton of beans (see the poles), cucumbers, and three different kinds of squash. I can't wait for the harvest!

0 comments: