Thursday, December 15, 2011

Twelve Days of Christmas: Day 3

Hello friends, I'd like to introduce you to Tommy the Elf on our shelf. He's a great helper, in that he doesn't back talk and is supposed to help keep my kids in line because they're supposed to believe that he's going to take all sorts of information back to Santa. I can't be sure if Noelle actually thinks he's magic or that he really will disappear at night. Tommy has been know to be on top of the Christmas tree, on top of kitchen cabinets, on top of our entertainment unit, etc. Do you see a theme in his locations? Yes we have to put him high up because the instructions told the kids that if they touch him he'll lose his magic. However Sis would like to test this theory and I can't have Noelle all up in arms over lost magic. Also he needs to stay up high enough so that Noelle can't get a good of a look at him. She has already said things about how she thinks he's just made of fabric and that he doesn't look like an elf, because you know she has all sorts of elf knowledge and wisdom. Its believed by Noelle that Tommy was sent by his elf friend Hermy. Hermy appeared at our house one day when we had some out-of-town cousins staying at our house. Those kids were so excited to see their elf, but how could it be theirs if it was at our house? Noelle was so upset that he hadn't returned. So after a few stops around my local three mile range of shopping I found Tommy.

Yesterday Tommy didn't come back from the North Pole. You see Noelle had been super sassy about how her mom doesn't make any good cookies with anything on them and then some other tirade of how we never eat anything good. Truth be told her words stung a lot, but that wasn't actually why Tommy didn't come.
The problem with the Elf on the Shelf is that he has to be moved everyday. It sounds so great in theory but I can't move him until I'm about to put my head to a pillow. Our darned two year old has become a night owl and makes moving Tommy a hard task. So often times he doesn't get moved until the morning when we remember and one of us distracts the kids while the other scrambles to find a new location for Tommy.

So yesterday Tommy didn't comeback because he was actually stuffed in the top of a cupboard as not to be seen sitting in the same place as the day before. I didn't have time to actually move him and I could hear my girls making their way around the corner. I panicked! Needless to say I had a good MO for why he didn't come back due to my stinker child's behavior.

I think its been the most effective to Sis. Her little neighbor friend's elf told Santa she'd been really naughty and so Santa sent her a letter to let her know her elf wouldn't be back until she was nice to her mom. So just tonight Sis kept telling me that Annie wasn't going to get any presents because her elf said she was naughty. Glad to know one of my children has been paying attention.

Here's a link to a great post that gave me a great laugh regarding other's experiences with their elf friends.
http://peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.blogspot.com/2011/12/over-achieving-elf-on-shelf-mommies.html

1 comments:

EmilyCC said...

This makes me feel better after reading a blog post about how people who tell their kids about Santa watching are creepy and manipulative. I think their elf probably just decided to stay at the North Pole, too, and they're just trying to justify.