Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Caramels


Back in the day when we managed to live in about 600 square feet and our lives were less complicated I made my first batch of caramels. It was to be used as our "neighbor" gifts. So I pulled out the biggest pot I had and went to work. Little did I know that all that sugar and cream boils for eternity and can make a pretty sticky mess. My biggest pot wasn't big enough and my longest spoon not long enough. I remember holding onto the very tip of that spoon hoping not to incur any more burns to my fingers. I'm not sure it ever really made it to the "soft ball" stage, but nonetheless they were really yummy. That event resulted in asking for a much larger pot and longer spoons.

Fast forward six years later to today when I tried to make another lovely batch of caramels. Its not a super complicated task, however once you get far enough involved you must "stir constantly." I'm really good at stirring and recalled the events of previous attempts. I was not going to let this fail. When it got about three degrees from done Noelle informs me that she needs to go potty. I had a small conversation in my head that went something like this:

"Should I take her to the bathroom or tell her to wait until I'm done with caramels? But what kind of lesson am I teaching to my potty training toddler? The caramels will be fine."

After the quickest stop in the bathroom I run back to my bubbly pot and start stirring to see I've finally reach the temp I've been waiting for only to find that we've got some extra brownage on the bottom of the pot. They're still delicious and look pretty, but that is a tough lesson no matter which way you look at it. Needless to say, we've not had to change Noelle's clothes all day long. Now that's worth a caramel.

2 comments:

Gold-E said...

oooh, that's a gutsy move for caramels, but you appear to have averted disaster. Good job sissy.

Stephanie said...

I am here to say that your caramels were perfect. I don't know how much perfect-er they could have been.

Merry Christmas to you.