Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Organization and De-Cluttering A House

That was the topic for today's parenting class or "mothering" class that is held for the three wards that meet in our building. Every month they have a member who might have an expertise in a particular area lead the discussion.

Our discussion leader had some great credentials and some great ideas, however how is a person or people like myself supposed to get over the fact that it just might be genetic? I don't know why - my mom is the MOST sentimental person I know and like some people she saves outfits from 35 years past because they have some kind of attachment to a special event in her life. Great. Fine. But don't pass that on to me. (BTW.. you should listen to the broadcast from NPR about "Too Much Stuff" - Click on the link to listen.

I have the desire to be greatly organized and have my Rubbermaid bins all labeled and sorted, but the truth is I don't. I even have spaces in my house that are catch-alls. More than one - more like four (that I can either see or think of off the top of my head.) I would like to think of them as spaces of good intentions. "I intend on sending that baby gift to Lacy, but every time I repack the box it doesn't get sent and I have to pull out the outfit because by now her baby has outgrown it."
"I intend on sorting through Noelle's clothes and putting the overly used ones in the goodwill box and the rest in the attic, but the bin sit in her room where I occasionally open it and remember that I was going to do something with it."

Maybe its that we just have to much crap?! Ah ha - that's more likely the case. Because like one or more of our parents we too see the value of free stuff that might be useful to us someday. And who knows what it might be useful for, but heaven knows I'll have it. Like the computer monitor that we will NEVER use again since it takes up the entire desk, but Boo says we paid good money for it and its a "really good" monitor.

On to the next point, which is that we may possibly be moving to a less expensive/ more efficient apartment. Its absolutely magnificent because its all brand spankin' new and we'd be the first to occupy such space. But where will be put all our stuff? The idea is to move and save some money and be happy and hopefully someday purchase our own space. (even if real estate prices are going down, we still won't be able to buy a square to squat on.) But what will we do if we can't have all our "stuff?" How much will we be able to store in those nice walk-in closets? I guess we'll have to get rid of it - oh please let us get rid of some stuff. I'm not moving that monitor one more time.

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
Here are some links from the class that may also be helpful to any of you.
Ineedmoretime.com
The Container Store
Organize.com
Organizeit-online.com
Organized-living.com

7 comments:

Lisa said...

see my blog for comment... it's much too long.

Gold-E said...

Sissy, its not genetic - you are a product of your environment. I am too, I just have more places to hide it. Ha ha, you're just like Mom too!

Elizabeth R said...

Well then the pattern continues cause Daniel has some lovely vests he wont part with cause he wore them once upon a time.. they are in the closet with the cheese heads, the old Dans clothes and tickets to every sporting event he has ever attended. Ahh how nice it would be to be clutter free.

lacy said...

'Ahhh' that's so nice, that you thought of me aloud on your blog! Thanks

Nay said...

Did you see Oprah yesterday and today? Oh, my heck. Makes me look really good! By the way, I took 2 bags to DI today and got rid of the white bathroom toilet shelf. About to break my arm patting myself on the back!

Nancy said...

If you haven't needed it in over a year then "just pitch it". That's a quote from Grammy Mitchell. I have often teased Mark that if we moved again, I could fit all of my personal belongings in my car, and he'd need a moving van. I have two copy paper boxes with memorabilia in them - that's it. I find having a Saturday a couple times a year where we both are involved in cleaning out the storage areas really does wonders. He actually purges some stuff each time.

Linda said...

something that has been wonderful for me is flylady.net...I wish I had had it when my kids were young..I might have had a different experience as a young mom!