Sunday, November 25, 2007

November Wrap Up

Well now that we're winding down to the end of the month I figured I should tell you about our holiday and weekend in Maine. (sorry no pics for the big events.)

We celebrated our first ever Thanksgiving with no family. We planned to make our annual trek to Maine and be with our family up there, but Boo thought he would have to work on Friday so we made arrangements to feast with some friends in our neighborhood. We split up the cooking which was a great learning experience since I usually just chop a few vegetables and then watch the process from the sidelines. But instead I made my own cranberry sauce, which was so fulfilling - for some reason to listen to the berries pop open and then to watch it all turn to the most beautiful color of red was all I need to be convinced that there is no satisfaction from canned cranberry sauce.
We had an interesting experience with our turkey however. (not one of my items to cook) Our friends decided to try out the ever-so-popular frying method. After much research and advice they thought they were set. It smelled great when we got to their house, but for some reason it didn't heat up enough to "fry" so it basically boiled in oil. Luckily some other friends had an extra turkey that they were willing to donate to our cause. We ended up eating the meat from both birds and both were really tasty.
Later that night I was processing the holiday while trying to sleep and realized that of all the things I was supposed to take and seems to be a Thanksgiving staple, I totally forgot. STUFFING! I forgot to make the stupid stuffing. We had so much food that we didn't notice. So i guess we'll be eating stuffing as a little side dish for the next few months.
Now we're in Maine enjoying the weekend playing games with lots of cousins and watching movies. We were sorely outnumbered for the Utah vs. BYU game and were so sad to see such a sad display of athletics. Its not often that we get to see a game on TV and then to watch them lose is pretty sad. Then to add insult to injury with a bunch of BY-Pooh fans. Lame.
The upcoming week will provide a nice kick-off to the holiday season as I assemble my Christmas cards and attend the annual wreath making party with the church. We're still trying to decide how to decorate our tree so that Destruct-O Noelle doesn't get the best of it. I think the antique glass ornaments will have to wait a few years.

1 comments:

talonandanna said...

Sounds like quite the eventful holiday! I may have to try making my own cranberry sauce some time. LOL. Have fun making your cards... can't wait to see 'em, they are always cute! p.s. hang your tree from the ceiling. :)