Friday, September 10, 2010

Tough Decisions


When we finished potty training with Noelle, which I swear it feels like it was only a few months ago (I mean nights included,) I really thought that there couldn't be anything left that would be so darn agonizing and hard. Then she started pre-school and I thought my life had been changed forever, for the good. She was in school with kids she loved and doing little crafty projects and learning how to write her name and for a while the world was on its axis the way it should be. Unfortunately the stars always find a way to become unaligned and then we have to come up with a new plan because the same old thing just isn't cutting it. Noelle still loves school, and her teacher, but my gut tells me she needs more than that. You see she comes home and shows me what she's done and all I can imagine is that she blew through it in two seconds and then played the rest of the time. I might be mistaken, but she needs some sort of academic challenge. We're past colors and numbers and shapes. She needs to figure out what numbers represent and start learning some sight words.

So after much discussion, and a lot of emotional gut pangs, we decided we'd pull her out of her current pre-school class and try something different. She of course doesn't know this yet and won't be happy come November. I'm terrified. What if I screw her up? What if....we're not friends at the end of this experiment? (When Noelle is mad at me she tells me we're not friends, but that she still loves me. Nice huh?)

So with some encouragement from other moms doing the same thing we're going to give it a go. My goal is that she'll be a strong reader by this time next year and that she'll understand that when you have five cookies and your dad eats two, you'll only be left with three.
And all you who might be worried she won't be socially fantastic, don't worry your pretty little minds. We'll find some creative social outlets for her through playgroups and other things we have planned.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

So, what's the plan?

the lawrence's said...

I think she'll be just fine. My mom didn't let me skip the third grade because she thought I was socially challenged but by the time high school came I hung out with people a year older than me anyway. So don't worry about get being social. She's smart enough for this.

Camille Bassett said...

We are doing the same thing with Olivia this year. She has a playgroup for the social part but some preschools do the bear minimum and just cash your check on the academic side of things. I just worry that she will be equally as bored in kindergarten.

Gold-E said...

She might gain another imaginary friend or two, but whatevs. She'll be fine and probably better off.

Stephanie said...

She's always been so smart! Do what feels right - you'll always make the right decision. She'll do well wherever she is.

Michelene said...

Keep blogging(refering to the last post)! I like reading it, it's the only way I know what you guys are up to and I can see my cute nieces getting bigger. You have to do what you think is best for Noelle. If you feel like you are wasting your money and that preschool is just an expensive playgroup then take her out. I can't put a price on having Tanner out of my house three days a week, LOL.

Rachel said...

Well the plan as of today, which just means it could change again is that she'll go two days, Monday/ Wednesday and I'll do lesson stuff with her on Friday. She has some other fun stuff on Tuesday and Thursday, so she's not lacking activities.

Shawn said...

We decided to do homeschooling for Kaylee this year (1st grade). Not just for acedemic reasons (she was far beyond fellow 1st graders), but also because we are now moving around with Chris for his job. It makes moving easier, but homeschooling is super hard. It's a struggle to find a good groove, but once you do it makes it ten times more enjoyable for the both of you. You should check out Arizona Connections Academy for when she gets into kindergarten if you are considering homeschooling. It's the program we are doing, and it's a public online school so it's free. It's worth a look if you are interested.