Sunday, August 26, 2007

Martha Stewart Can Kiss My Grits

Last night we went to our friends, the Sundahl's, for a "tree house party." Throughout this summer they have been working on a very impressive tree house in their back yard. So with Indian food on the menu, I offered to make the dessert. I'm sure by my title you can already sense my demise.
Yesterday happened to be one of, if not the hottest day of August 2007. I believe that my commentator friend on NPR said that the heat index was 104. That means that with the humidity it felt like "the inside of a mouth." Terrible day to try a new recipe, especially one that involves a ton of butter.
Not thinking I printed out the three recipes, with a total 20 steps that were supposed to produce a great cake. I even watched the video from her show so I would do it all exactly the way she did. During my production I realized that this was also a two person operation. (well three actually because they have a kitchen aid mixer which counts in our kitchen as another person, which we don't have.)

This is what it was going to look like!
All was workable until the frosting portion of the experiment. Our house was just too hot. The butter was too soft and my whipped butter cream frosting looked terrible. Boo and I conjured up a solution however once we got the frosting on the cake it wouldn't stick, also because it was too hot. It wanted to melt and slide off. We tried to put it in the fridge to cool it down but every time we took it out we had the same surprise, a huge pile of frosting at the bottom of the cake. We needed cake suspenders to hold it up. We learned that more in this case is not better and that patching up the sides where it had slid down didn't help. So needless to say our cake was a flop. It tasted fine, but looked awful.

Maybe I should have taken my sissy's advice and gone and bought the chocolate cake at the Costco. It would have looked a million times better. Also, I have learned that Martha's recipes are not for the faint of heart and she should put a disclaimer on the recipe that says in extreme heat and humidity this recipe is sure to fail.
Thanks to our friends who actually ate the cake.

3 comments:

Heather said...

The first thing I did when I got home from church was dive into the cake. I shared some with Jonah, and left the fork in the cake holder for easier snacking. It is delicious. So what if it looks like a mudslide. It tastes like heaven.

Jen and Joe. said...

I think Martha should be forced to make this cake all by herself using only the tools that I have in my kitchen.

Anonymous said...

it was super yummy!