Friday, September 26, 2008

Missing the Crib

No this post isn't about missing any of our past "cribs." None of mine could compare to those of MTV's. This is simply the sadness that waxes strong in my heart for that period of time when you child is still a baby. But that is only one of the things I miss. She's moved up in society and now sleeps in her hand-me-down Mimmu Sloan big girl bed. She's discovered that she can come and go at any time, but mostly in the early dawn hours when we're finally getting some good sleep. She'll quietly come in and as she is standing only a few inches or less from my face will say, "I'm all done Mama." This is usually followed up by her first request of the day which could be anything from toast or markers to Mike Wazowski from Monsters, Inc. I then follow that up with something like, "Here's a pillow you can lay on the floor next to my bed, and be quiet its still night time." If I didn't fear what she might do to the rest of the house, I'd probably lock my bedroom door.

Waking up early isn't anything new for her, its just that before she slept in a cage and we'd ignore her long enough that she'd go back to sleep for another hour or so and then we'd let her out. Now that she is free she's very willing to invite any and all to lay with her on her bed to watch a movie on "the DVD" (the portable DVD player). She also recognizes that at night she can put on her sad face and request "snuggles." This makes it hard to say no and we usually read a book or two and call it night. I'm sure over time I won't miss the crib so much.

These pictures are from the first time I put Noelle in her crib. She liked it so much that her feet were going crazy with excitement.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Well you're lucky that you've held on this long! Is she still napping because I found that once I moved them into a "big girl bed" they stopped napping. Makes me want to hang onto the crib just a little while longer next time.

Rachel said...

She'll only nap if she's really tired and its not usually in her bed.

Stephanie said...

First it's the crib, then they won't go in strollers anymore! What comes next? Oh yea, they want their own cell phone.

talonandanna said...

not so long ago was it?! time flies. i've done the crib things as long as possible, but the twin bed is in place, now i just have to get the courage to make the jump... i think i'm in for the beginning of the night time wanderings through the house....

Rachel said...

Since posting this Noelle has just taken to coming into our room at some point in the night and just finds the extra pillows and goes to sleep on the floor. Boo and I usually ask each other when it was she came in and we never know. This beats being woken up hands down!

Gold-E said...

She's not a baby anymore :( Instead she's the cutest little kid. Enjoy her every moment now. Someday you might not think she's so cute sneaking out of bed...

Jamie Broderick Photography said...

When Alayna made the move to the big girl bed Matt would wake up and trip over a pile of blanket with our baby underneath (I say baby even now because I can't stand that they are growing up). I with you- I am just glad that I can get a little more sleep.

Michelene said...

I enjoy when they get bigger and can do things for themselves. Madelyn can now take her own shower, it's great. Madelyn stoped taking naps when she moved to the big bed but Tanner still naps, you have to put him back in his room several times but he usually will go to sleep. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad her transition has been good. Lauren was a bit of a punk in her bed when she made the change. Is Noel potty trained now? Lauren wants to, but I keep putting her off - bad momma!!!

birdie said...

Oh dear - we're going to have to do this soon, I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I'm ready to, though! For numerous reasons.

Louise Plummer said...

Wow, Mimmu Sloan. There's a name I haven't heard for awhile. One of my favorite people. She has our old white upright piano ($50). This is my favorite story about her: She lived on Avon Street in Cambridge with several other women and one got a phone call and Mimmu said, "She's not here; she's raping the lawn." I think I used it in a novel.

Linda said...

wow, did I just read a comment by Louise Plummer?!